Grey and tabby cats are very popular as house cats and it’s no wonder when you look at their wide variety of beautiful colours and patterns! And, if you’re struggling to find the perfect name for your new kitten, we’ve come to the rescue. Here are some of our favourite cat names for grey and tabby cats.
Grey cat names
Ranging from silver to almost black; grey cats have a beauty that is all their own and that can be celebrated through a unique name.
- Cinder — Cinder or Cinderella is perfect for a the kind of cat that looks as if it just stepped from a fairy tale book.
- Smoke or Smokey — Perfect for a Siamese or Himalayan with dark colour points!
- Ash — “Ash” can also be the shortened form of “Ashley”, a unisex name for your new kitten.
- Liadan — In Irish Gaelic “Liadan” means “grey lady”. In Irish legend, Liadan was a poetess who became a nun, but she missed her lover so much that she died of grief.
- Farran — From the Old French meaning “iron grey”.
- Fenris — A great wolf from the Norse mythology.
- Gandalf (the Grey) — A wizard from author J.R.R. Tolkien’s works.
- Earl Grey — The name is derived from Earl Grey tea; black tea with bergamot.
- Pearl — Your cat is as precious as a beautiful pearl, so why not name her after this beautiful object?
- Lilac — Perfect for a female blue Persian, this name is very feminine and beautiful.
- Misty — “Misty” evokes quite the opposite of “Flame” and is perfect for white or light grey cats.
- Opal — An Opal is “A gemstone consisting of a form of hydrated silica, typically semi-transparent and showing many small points of shifting colour against a pale or dark ground”. (See the OED.)
- Professor — Perfect for a regal Persian whose expression just says “I know the secrets of the universe”.
- Moon(light) — If you’d prefer to go a bit more “exotic”, you can always opt for the Latin for moon; “Luna”!
- Starlight — The perfect name for a light grey cat.
- Silver or Quicksilver — Perfect for a sleek Siamese cat!
Tabby cat namesTabby cats are very common, but that doesn’t mean that their name has to be — here are some of our favourite tabby cat names:
- Tabitha — From the Aramaic meaning “gazelle”, “Tabitha” also sounds like a play on “tabby”!
- Honey — Perfect for a sweet-tempered tabby.
- Abby — A shortened form of “tabby”, it’s perfect for your new female tabby cat!
- Harlequin — Playing on the many colours of a harlequin’s costume. If you’re a DC comics fan, you can always opt for Harley Quinn.
- Cheetah — We know every house cat is a big cat by heart, and what better way to show their wild side than with a name like Cheetah (or Leo/Lion)
- Tigger — Named after the lovable and lively character in Winnie the Pooh.
- Tiger — Perfect for a large tabby who loves to hunt his catnip mice!
- Marbles — Playing on the look of marble stone, this is a cute and unusual name for a tabby.
- Copper — A good name to keep in mind if your tabby’s coat has many copper tones.
- Cocoa — Perfect for a dark brown and black tabby; or if you just like chocolate.
- Raya — From the Spanish, meaning “stripes”.
- Tabs — Short and sweet!
- Cinnamon — A reddish-brown spice when ground, “Cinnamon” is a name to keep in mind if your tabby has some reddish-brown fur.
- Nutmeg — Another spice, “Nutmeg” is suited to a tabby cat with more brown in its coat.
- Goldilocks — From the fairytale “Goldilocks and the Three Bears”, this name is perfect if your bundle of fluff has a lot of light brown fur in its coat.
For even more ideas for names for your cat, click here for male cat names and here for female cat names. Here is also some tips on choosing the perfect cat name for your new cat. And don’t forget to check out our Cat Name Generator!